Human resources are one of the most eminent assets of a company. Through effective human resource consulting, companies tend to succeed in their goals with a more competitive edge. Many HR outsourcing companies provide worthwhile HR solutions which help many businesses prosper and flourish while keeping their budget in place.
In this blog, we will discuss one of such HR features, named GOSI which benefits both the employee and employer in Saudi Arabia. GOSI is an organization that collects contributions of insurance for the welfare of employee and their families.
What is GOSI?
GOSI stands for Government Organization for Social Insurance, which came into being in the year 1973. It is a financially and administratively independent organization dealing with social insurance in the kingdom. The headquarters of GOSI is in Riyadh. It is led and administered by thirteen directors which include insured persons, officials from government departments and employers. The primary goal of GOSI is to improve social insurance by allotting it fairly to the contributors and their kin.
What is the contribution percentage in GOSI?
The contributions for GOSI are collected by both, employers and employees. The percentage of contribution for employers is 12% whereas for the employees is 10%. According to a quarterly report of GOSI in 2020, it was declared that 498,000, 48,000 and 8,000 employees from micro, small and medium establishments are registered with GOSI, respectively.
What is the structure of GOSI in Saudi Arabia?
The headquarters of GOSI is in Riyadh however GOSI has 21 other offices at various locations in Saudi Arabia. Presided by a board of directors of 13 members, the GOSI comprises of:
- Chairman – personnel from the Ministry of Finance
- Vice Chairman – GOSI Governor
- Personnel from the Council of Economic and Development Affairs
- Governor Public Pension Agency
- Personnel from the Ministry of Health
- Personnel from the Ministry of Human Resources and Social Development
- Personnel from the Ministry of Finance
- Three members of employers
- Three highly competent contributors
GOSI Calculation in KSA
GOSI is calculated on the basis of the basic salary and housing allowances of the employee. The calculation is irrespective of the sector being private or government. There are two methods of GOSI calculation:
- Method of GOSI calculation for Saudi Nationals
- Method of GOSI calculation for Expatriates
Let us discuss each one by one.
GOSI Calculation in KSA For Saudi Nationals
The contribution is collected on behalf of individual amounts by both the employee and employer to 22% of basic salary and housing allowances. The breakup of this 22% is as follows:
- 9% is collected from the employee on account of annuity also known as pension.
- 9% is collected from the employer on account of the annuity (pension).
- 1% is collected by the employee on account of unemployment contribution.
- 1% is collected by the employer on account of unemployment contribution.
- 2% is collected by the employer on account of occupational hazards.
The contribution for expatriates is collected by the employers only which is 2% of the applicable earnings i.e. basic salary and housing allowances. The range for the contribution lies from SAR 400 to SAR 45,000.
Read More: Procedures for Employing Expats in KSA
What are the benefits of GOSI contribution?
GOSI has been on top as a government insurance provider in Saudi Arabia for the past 50 years. There have been various ways through which employees and their families benefit from the contributions. Here are a few benefits listed for Saudi nationals and expatriates both:
- Medical and Health Benefits
- Daily allowance due to temporary disability or injury
- Monthly allowance due to permanent disability
- Partial permanent disability
- Unemployment Allowances
- Benefits after the death of a contributor
- Voluntary contribution benefits
- Occupational hazard benefits
- Permanent disability benefits
- Allowances for injury due to traffic accident
What is a GOSI Certificate and how can you obtain it?
A GOSI certificate is a document containing the contributor’s wages and tenure of contribution. The certificate can be obtained through the GOSI’s official e-Service portal following the steps below:
Step no. 1 – Log on to the official e-Service portal of GOSI
Step no. 2 – Enter details of the contributor’s account.
Step no. 3 – Click on ‘Issue of certificates.
Step no. 4 – Select the type of certificate you need to obtain.
Step no. 5 – Download the certificate
Looking for the best HR solutions for your company in Saudi Arabia?
Payroll Middle East covers the entire Middle East region through excelling HR solutions. With an immaculate team of Human Resource consulting professionals, legal consultants, and accountants, Payroll Middle East has successfully enabled clients in Saudi Arabia to acquire the best of the best talents while taking care of their payroll and other employment-related legal matters in the kingdom. Our vision is to provide businesses with the best payroll services, which makes us one of the best HR outsourcing companies in Saudi Arabia.